Being open with care
While Covid restrictions are being changed often, counselling professional bodies are urging members to continue with risk mitigation procedures. The face-to-face conversational element of therapy, combined with the length of exposure during a typical therapy session, could put us at particular risk. The following precautions are in place to keep you as safe as possible while also giving you the option for in-person sessions.
Covid Policy for in-person sessions
Each client must consider the following, and disclose to myself any risks, before deciding to have face-to-face therapy
- Limits of confidentiality.Consideration of confidentiality is important if the Government Track and Trace is reintroduced. My contract refers to the limits of confidentiality including balancing confidentiality with public interest including public health. Under this clause, I may need to share your name and contact details with the Government Track and Trace if myself or another client contracts the virus. In these circumstances, confidentiality may be broken if necessary for reasons of public health.
- In-person sessions may suddenly have to be conducted onlinefor Covid-related reasons e.g. Government or professional body guidelines if Covid restrictions are introduced.
- Alternative methods of conducting some sessionscan be considered to reduce the risk of infection e.g. walking therapy outdoors, sitting back to back (not face to face), alternating online with in-person sessions.
Action to be taken to prevent infection
- Please continue to carefully consider the cost/benefit of face-to-facetherapy for yourself given the current risk of contracting COVID19 and your changing circumstances.
- You can choose to move your session or all of your therapy online with just one hour’s noticeshould you be worried about possibly having been exposed to the virus.
- Hand sanitiseris provided for your use at any time during the session should you need to use it.
- Face masks are optional. Please let me know if you would feel more comfortable if I wear a face mask.
- Water will be provided in plastic cups.
- Seats will be covered in plasticto ensure quick and thorough cleaning.
- Surfaces and door handles will be disinfected regularly. Air disinfectant will also be sprayed before each client enters the room.
- Every effort will be taken to ventilate the roomas fully and frequently as possible by opening the windows. At the same time, every effort will be made ensure comfort of temperature in the room and to maintain confidentiality. If you at any point become uncomfortable with the open / closed windows, please let me know.
- Clients will be required to settle their bill online before each session to prevent the need for the handling of cash, cards and card readers.
In the event of an infection or a need to self-isolate or quarantine
- Sessions will need to be conducted online and may need to be paused at short noticein the event of a positive diagnosis, a localised or national lockdown, and depending on changing Government guidance, should either one of us be required to self-isolate or quarantine.
- In the event that I become unwell or test positive for the COVID19 virus, I will ensure that clients are alerted as soon as possible. You are required to inform me as soon as possible of the same.
- The 24-hour cancellation policy still applies. If you have symptoms, you are to give at least 24-hours notice if you cannot do your session online
- If either one of us develop symptoms of COVID19, we will let the other know at the soonest opportunity and arrange for sessions to continue online.